lout-users

Re: Old releases to archive at SourceForge

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Old releases to archive at SourceForge
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 23:33:13 +0300

On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 11:25:41AM +0300, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:

> I currently try to archive all the old Lout releases that I can find
> at the SourceForge.  I have 2.05 (last in 2.x series), 3.08 and from
> 3.12 onwards.
>
> Early 3.0x were distributed via comp.sources.misc IIRC - I think it
> was .misc, but my memory is hazy (gee! comp.sources.* ... nostalgia).
> I think I can find those in usenet archives.

Ok, so I dug into archives and found all relevant versions.

First sneak preview versions of Lout 3 were released in
September/October of 1994.

Lout 3.02 was the first official version in the 3.x series, released
on November 14, 1994.  It was posted to comp.sources.misc couple of
weeks later, which in those days (still) was an "official" release
procedure.  So I recovered 3.02 shars from usenet archives.

Then there was a series of sneak preview versions that ended with 3.06
released on July 25, 1995 and declared official stable version few
days later.  After looking around I found 3.06 on ftp.inria.fr.

Lout 3.07 changed few things (e.g. LCM files instead of EVEC) and
after a short while 3.08 was released on May 8, 1995.  3.08 have been
carried by Jeff's ftp (until today ;-).

Then 3.09 was released (featuring @Diag) while Jeff was on sabbatical
at cs.nott.ac.uk (can you see a pattern here?  I wonder which ac.uk
will give us 3.29? :-)

3.10, released shortly thereafter, was a temporary follow-on with
accumulated fixes/features but it turned out to be a very long lived
(as all temporary things are ;-).

3.11 released almost an year later was the first to run on win32 out
of the box.  It was not officially declared stable, but marked a long
development period (3.12, that followed, featured PDF backend and so
3.11 is an important "before PDF" milestone).  Fortunately, I found
3.11 at Digital's mirror of ftp.vixie.com.

So I now have 3.02, 3.06, 3.08 and 3.11 - which are the "old"
milestones releases.  Starting from 3.12 I archive religiously.

I also grabbed 2.03 from c.s.m archives for completeness.

So I guess I have collected all the interesting bits now.

ftp://ftp.ptc.spbu.ru/pub/textproc/lout/archive/     - 3.x series
ftp://ftp.ptc.spbu.ru/pub/textproc/lout/historic/    - 2.x series

SY, Uwe