lout-users

Re: more than 26 columns in a table

From: Jeffrey Howard Kingston
Subject: Re: more than 26 columns in a table
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 16:02:40 +0100

>                                  I realize that not many people will
> need tables this big, but even so, 26 columns is the kind of an
> arbitrary limit that should not be found in a good program :-)

Agreed.  Unfortunately, owing to fundamental deficiencies in the
Lout language, every additional column requires a very large copy
and paste of Lout code, so there is a tradeoff between allowing
more columns and slowing down Lout's reading of the tblf definitions
file, which is already 3155 lines long owing to this problem.  This
is also the reason why there are only eight row types.

Jeff Kingston