lout-users

Re: Problem with Bookman font

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Problem with Bookman font
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:20:41 +0300

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 15:32:55 +0100, Dani Pardo wrote:

> Ok, a problem I saw beside of that is that the printer didn't had
> the Bookman font, so the text printed out with Courier.  It would be
> nice (or a TODO feature?) to add an option to lout for including the
> font description in the Postscript output.  The same happens with
> Ghostscript, and I don't dare to jugdge if that's diffucult to
> implement or not :)

This has been brought up several times.  Search list archives at
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lout/> for "IncludeResource":

In particular, see my message of Wed Oct 20, 1999 (seq no 1365) "Using
fonts with Lout":

fontdef stuff has changed slightly, but the rest should give a fairly
complete overview of how fonts work in PS.

> Ah, I saw in a prior post Uwe asking for more people trying to
> answer questions from users.  I think he's right, but it's a
> "strange" situation when in a mailing list are only two gurus about
> the subject of the list, it's a pity.

Experts doesn't appear out of nowhere (Bodhidharma coming from the
south was, perhaps, an exception ;-).

The user base is too small, perhaps.  The list has just some 200+
subscribers.  Since document formatting is, mostly, an "auxiliary"
technology, few people are motivated to make it their area of
expertise - they have their own problems to solve and they just want
things "to work" and rightly so.  TeX wins here because of sheer
number of users - even if less then 1% of users has sufficient
expertise to share - it translates into sufficient pool of experts in
absolute numbers.

> I know a very little subset of Lout's features, but there's one
> thing I guess it would be great for all: To recollect the "top 20"
> lout scripts, along with their .PS output (and maybe with a .txt
> file explaining the thing), so people would learn looking at other's
> scripts.  That could be posted in sourceforge's Lout site.

There are many ways one can help with this, but the problem is not
that people don't know how to help, the problem is that there're not
that much people who has necessary resources (free time, primarily).
People don't want to make hollow promises in good conscience.

SY, Uwe