lout-users

Re: Vertical space/gap..

From: Albert Kinderman
Subject: Re: Vertical space/gap..
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 08:41:08 -0800

"Valeriy E. Ushakov" wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 08:19:29 -0500, Ish Rattan wrote:
>
> > I am new to Lout. For making an exam, one needs quite a bit blank space
> > for response to the question (as shown below, like vertical skip
> > under latex). How can it be achieved?

[snip]

> One can even contrive the following example (try it!):
>
>     @BulletList
>
>     @PP This list outlines possible solutions to
>     ``vertical gap'' problem.
>     One can either use a concatenation
>     operator @OneCol { @LI { "//" operator } }
>     or an empty object.  @OneCol { @LI { empty object } }
>
>     @RawEndList
>
>     @PP That's all, folks.

> SY, Uwe

Just some points about Uwe's example.  Once the list starts, only
list items appear within the list.  That is why the the text "This
list outlines..."  appears after the end of the list. It is the
same reason that an @NP or adding space will not work within a
list if not placed within a list item (they appear at the end of
the list).

Also, if you leave out the @OneCol, the words "operator" and "or
an empty object" appear on separate lines; while, with the
@OneCol, the words are on the same line, but with an extra space
between them.  Uwe or someone else can provide the technical
explanation of the difference, but in the latter case I believe
the space before the @OneCol is one space and the end of line
return is the second space.

Of course, the real point of the example is that you shouldn't put
anything in a list except ListItem, ListNewPage,
ListInterruptItem, etc.

Al

--
Albert Kinderman      Department of Management Science
       California State University, Northridge