lout-users

Re: ttf font conversion

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: ttf font conversion
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 19:13:46 +0400

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 00:40:08 -0800, Efraim Yawitz wrote:

> > > After some initial success in converting Hebrew TTF fonts to Type1,
> > > I now find that many fonts have unusual encodings, and it is a pain
> > > to manually make a new LCM file for each font or family.  Does
> > > anyone know an easier way?
> >
> > Fix the fonts.  Adobe has standard for naming glyphs in postscript fonts.
>
> Do you mean fixing the t1a files before compiling them to .pfa or .pfb?
> This sounds just as hard as making many LCM files.

Basicly, yes.  Also, check if your conversion software knows about
standard names for hebrew glyphs (BTW, what do you use?).

Hmm, checked Hebrew TrueType fonts on my NT box (David, Rod).  They
have non standard names: "alef", "bet" etc... *sigh*.  If that
(nonstandard) naming is widespread enough, writing an LCM for it might
be worthwhile.

If unicode indexes in the original TrueType fonts are ok, then I can
use FontLab to automatically rename all the glyphs to conforming
names for you with one button press.

But if your fonts "pretends" to be cp1252 fonts by lying about unicode
indexes - touch luck - you'll need to do the tedious renaming all by
hands (or script).

SY, Uwe