lout-users

Re: ttf font conversion

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: ttf font conversion
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:31:56 +0400

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 21:58:06 -0800, Efraim Yawitz wrote:

> After some initial success in converting Hebrew TTF fonts to Type1,
> I now find that many fonts have unusual encodings, and it is a pain
> to manually make a new LCM file for each font or family.  Does
> anyone know an easier way?

Fix the fonts.  Adobe has standard for naming glyphs in postscript fonts.
<http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/type/unicodegn.html>

E.g.

    Unicode     Glyph name
    05BE            afii57645    HEBREW PUNCTUATION MAQAF
    05C3            afii57658    HEBREW PUNCTUATION SOF PASUQ
    05D0            afii57664    HEBREW LETTER ALEF
    05D1            afii57665    HEBREW LETTER BET
    [...]

LCMs should target these glyph naming scheme, than any conforming font
is immediately usable.

SY, Uwe