lout-users

More of the TeX-algorithms in lout?

From: Oliver Bandel
Subject: More of the TeX-algorithms in lout?
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 10:57:12 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello, LOUTers,

I'm exploring lout and it's flexibility is
astouning.

Some algorithms (e.g. linebreaking) are copied
from the TeX-program.

What's about the word-rendering algorithms and
the fine-tune of the lines?
When I understand correctly, lout does not process
character-by-character and only takes the objetcs
"word-wise".
So there can't be done such things like adding extra-space
between words and punctuation and such stuff.

How complicated is it, to implement more of the TeX-algorithms
intop lout?
Is this planned for the future of lout?

BTW: What#s about the different versions of lout?
On the websites I read, that 3.17 is the last complete
and stable version (if one needs pdf-output).
What are other differences between the versions?
(I saw an 3.23 on the current TeX-CDs, but installed the 3.17
because of the comment, that 3.17 is recommended.)

Ciao,
   Oliver