lout-users

Re: sugestion for Lout - token stack

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: sugestion for Lout - token stack
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:31:58 +1100

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 12:01:22 +0100 (MET), Oliver Bandel wrote:

  > What do you mean? My dictionary does not contain the word
  > "retrofit(ted)".

Shoved in awkwardly later.

  > Do you think about using a different language for implementation
  > of the new system?
  >
  > Maybe Ocaml? => http://www.ocaml.org

I've designed my own language, it's quite similar to Ocaml.  But I
want to be in control of the compiler, and I want generic functions,
which Ocaml didn't have last time I looked.

  > Can you explain what you think about problems of Lout
  > (and possibly other formatting systems) and what you
  > want to do better?

I don't have time to do this in an email, so I've re-posted a paper
I wrote six years ago (how time flies) when I first started thinking
about replacing Lout.  It's called "The future of document formatting"
and you can find it on my home page,

    http://www.it.usyd.edu.au/~jeff

It does not define a new language, it just goes through the requirements.

  > Will it include new ideas from other systems (what about
  > ConTeXt?)?

What's ConTeXt?

Jeff