lout-users

Lout, Illustrator, and postscript

From: Joe Beach
Subject: Lout, Illustrator, and postscript
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:16:51 -0700

Hello,

I recently used Lout 3.30 to make a 80 cm x 30 cm poster, which I saved
as a postscript file. I examined that file with ggv and it looked just
fine. I used ImageMagick to convert it to png, which also looked just
fine. I took the postscript file to a copy shop (Kinko's), where they
used Adobe Illustrator to print it. The final product wasn't quite
right, it printed the word "Ofce:" instead of "Office:". When I pointed
out the problem, they looked at the ps file with Illustrator, and it was
dropping the "fi" on screen, as well as at the printer. I suspect this
means that Illustrator doesn't properly handle postscript (perhaps
kerning?), although that is just a guess. Does anyone else have any
ideas about this? I'd like to ask for my money back (these posters
aren't cheap), but they are pointing to the Illustrator rendering it
"Ofce:" on screen as evidence that they printed exactly what I gave
them.

Joe Beach