lout-users

Nonpareil news

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Nonpareil news
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 09:52:00 +1100

I have just updated the Nonpareil home page,

    http://www.it.usyd.edu.au/~jeff/nonpareil

placing a new document there called Nonpareil Document Formatting
(in the Current Release section).  It's partly a consolidation of
previously distributed stuff, but there are two interesting new
things:  a well-developed model of documents and scenes, including
a workable system for implementing selections; and a revised
specification of NPD (Nonpareil's answer to XML), which is simpler
than the previous version.

I haven't written any new code, and my next job is to produce yet
another Lout release.  But that should not take long, and then I
plan to do some work on the Nonpareil compiler, to add introspection.
That will have a significant impact on the language, and also on the
implementation of objects from generic classes, which should be a
big improvement if my current ideas about it work out.

This would be a good moment to start up a Nonpareil mailing list.
Greg Woods offered to do it once before, so I mailed him a few
days ago about it, but I have not heard back yet.  Since Nonpareil
is off-topic for the Lout list, until we get a Nonpareil list going
please send your comments and suggestions about Nonpareil to me.

Jeff Kingston