lout-users

Re: @Math stuff

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: @Math stuff
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 15:22:46 +0200

Hi,

address@hidden (Jeff Kingston) writes:

> I was surprised by the result of
>
>     @Math { T sub 1 --> T sub 2 }
>
> Apparently the precedence of --> is higher than the precedence of sub.
> I seem to remember that TeX's _ operator has very high precedence, in
> effect, even if it is not expressed in that way.

All arrows have the default precedence, which is probably wrong.  I'm
not sure what precedence they should have, though.  Should it be
address@hidden'?  Likewise, we may need to update the precedence of
`sub', `sup', etc.

> Also, @M { non <= } does not crash but it seems to be putting in too
> much space.  The non symbol is very handy, let's not lose it.  It
> may require an extra style alongside script etc. or whatever they
> are called - a style that inserts no horizontal space.

Do you have use cases of `non'?

The current implementation of `non' in address@hidden' is broken.  Actually,
it'd be hard to implement something that can be used as in "non <="
since "<=" (and similar operators) now take a left and right parameter.
So we'd have to use "non { a <= b }" instead of "a { non <= } b".  Does
it seem like an acceptable solution?

Thanks,
Ludovic.