lout-users

Re: How d'you set the font for Contents and List of Tables?

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: How d'you set the font for Contents and List of Tables?
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 08:22:18 +1100

> But while a Chapter is a big thing and deserves a big title, the table
> of contents and list of tables are smaller scale things and should be
> able to have their fonts set separately.

Well, we disagree about this.

> The problem I have is getting a nice layout to my TOC and list of
> tables, and that means I have to fiddle with the interline spacing (to
> avoid bad breaks) but can't scale down the size of the title...

Yes, I've fiddled with the interline spacing in TOCs for this same
reason.  I wonder whether some other solution might be better, say
a way to keep the TOC entries for one chapter together on one page.

> In my Python 3 book I have several tables that are too big for one
> page. I never do multipage tables, so for each of these I have two
> tables, but obviously I only want the first one of each pair to appear
> in the TOC. Also in a couple of places I have tables that don't belong
> in the TOC; most of the tables are about Python's syntax or APIs but a
> couple are used to describe file formats for an example and just don't
> belong in the TOC.  Hope you're convinced:-)

I'm moderately convinced.  What about the numbering though?  Wouldn't
this change cause gaps in the numbering of your tables in the List of
Tables?  Wouldn't that look strange?

> That works perfectly for the List of Tables---and completely ruins the
> TOC as the attached screenshots show.

I haven't looked at your screen shots but I can guess what the problem
is: lack of room for "Chapter 4" in a 1cm column.  That's why I said
"fiddle with".  You could tart by trying a wider column width.

Jef said
"fiddle with".  You could tart by trying a wider column width.

Jeff