lout-users

Re: Newbie: section numbering option

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Newbie: section numbering option
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 07:17:31 +1100

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 07:54:04PM +0100, Andrea Taverna wrote:

> There's a question I couldn't answer myself by reading the manuals:
> isn't there an option to prevent numbering in a *single* section or
> chapter? Like *-commands in latex, i.e. \section* instead of \section?
> If not, how should I change the document setup to add such
> functionality?

There is no way to prevent a number from being allocated to each
chapter or section.  It might be possible to prevent it from
being printed in the title etc., by a rather complicated trick
involving the @SectionFormat option (or similar options for
other large-scale structure symbols) in the setup file.  But
before we get into that, what is it that you are trying to
achieve by using such a feature?  Perhaps there is another way
to get what you need.  For example, if your aim is to get an
unnumbered chapter called Preface, there is a @Preface symbol
for that.  Or if your aim is to have all sections or chapters
displayed without numbers, then there is a much simpler change
you can make to the @SectionFormat (etc.) setup file option.

> PS: does lout community have a usenet group?

No, just this mailing list.

Jeff