Re: [Ltib] custom linux driver and use application

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] custom linux driver and use application
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 08:57:29 +0100

Hi Henry,

If you want to add a device driver, you can either add a patch to the
kernel and reference that new patch in the kernel's spec.in file.
Alternatively you can add it as an external kernel module (as a new
package).  There is an example kernel module spec file here:
dist/lfs-5.1/helloworld/hello_mod.spec

For the user space application you need to add a new package.  If you
wanted you could write a single new package that included both the
kernel module and the user space application.  The design of how you
split/implement the packages depends on what it is and what makes best
sense.

I didn't understand what you meant about 'tar application' ?  I'm
guessing you are asking about how to provide the content?  If so, then
patches are normally just made using 'diff -u', i.e. they are plain text
files.  For a collection of files (a directory tree), normally people
tar them up as tar.gz or tar.bz2 files.  The content (locally) goes
into /opt/freescale/pkgs (or /opt/ltib/pkgs if you're using the savannah
copy of ltib).

Take a look at the LtibFaq which is on the bitshrine.org website and
under doc in ltib.  This explains most of this.

Regards, Stuart