Re: [Ltib] Re: where does one get spec files for newer GPP packages?

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Re: where does one get spec files for newer GPP packages?
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 09:00:57 +0000

Hi Rob,

That's right, the content (GPP) is on a separate site to the LTIB CVS
sources.  The main reason was that I was unsure how much storage I'd be
able to have on Savannah, given that there was a need for gigabytes of
content.  So the GPP is on a separate bulk storage site.

The un-versioned copy of the spec represents the latest stable common
version.  The other versions are there to allow some BSPs to take
alternate versions using config/platform/xxx/pkg_map files.  This is
discouraged though.

The reasons there's no version number is that this is the spec file that
is chosen by by default (from config/userspace/pkg_map).  This means
that if I want to upgrade a package all I need to do is to bump up the
number in the spec file that doesn't have the version number.  Most of
the time that's all that is done (the old version is not saved out to a
versioned spec file unless some platform is specifically using it).

The reason the older versions of patches/packages are in the GPP is so
that people with old versions of LTIB still have access to the content.
In fact any patch/tarball that has ever been put on the GPP is still
there.

BTW: when I merge out,  I usually make a cross reference of what is
being referenced by the various packages.  The one for the latest merge
out is here: http://www.bitshrine.org/autodocs/bsp_ext_ava.html
This is a quick way of getting an overview of the versions of packages
used in the various spec files.

Regards, Stuart