Re: [Ltib] skell files overwritten by which pkg?

From: Michael Jones
Subject: Re: [Ltib] skell files overwritten by which pkg?
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 11:37:32 +0100

Hi Stuart,

I certainly saw the usefulness in one package overwriting another's files, as you explained (especially for something like skell). I should've been clearer that it was _my_ problem, not LTIB's :)

Great, thanks for the help.

-Mike

Stuart Hughes wrote:
Hi Michael,

There are files that deliberately get overwritten by normal package building as you progress. Skell is just a "good set of defaults" in many cases. So this behaviour is normal. To explain this behaviour, think busybox, this provides many utilities, but if you select the full utility (say bash), this will deliberately overwrite the busybox shell. The same kind of thing applies for skell (and other packages).

Now for this to work properly there are forward and reverse triggers in LTIB. So if you had bash selected and then de-selected it, LTIB would know to re-install busybox. However, this only works if you run ./ltib, not ./ltib -p _pkg_. The -p pkg stuff say "just work on that package". So in the case of skell you'd be better to do (as a workflow):

./ltib -p skell -m prep
edit,edit,edit
./ltib

This would cause skell to "build" and the right triggers to apply so that overwriting packages get re-installed.

So far as your rpm query goes, it does seem possible that /etc/profile is overwritten by the merge package. In the Savannah CVS I see this:

$ find config/platform/ -name profile
config/platform/ea3250/merge/etc/profile
config/platform/imx27ads/merge/etc/profile
config/platform/imx31ads/merge/etc/profile

NOTE: the merge directories are a way of simply stomping on top of files in the rootfs. Some BSP packagers use them, personally I believe it's best to avoid them if you can.

Regards, Stuart

Michael Jones wrote:
Hi Stuart,

In my tinkering with the network configure script, I've stumbled onto a different problem. I wanted to modify the /etc/rc.d/init.d/network script, which belongs to the skell package. But I noticed that if I do:
./ltib -p skell -m prep
<would theoretically make changes here>
./ltib -p skell -m scdeploy

... then some files change, even if I made no chanes to skell. The most noticeable was /etc/profile, because this changed the cmd line prompt. For example, after a normal LTIB build,

ltib$ cat rootfs/etc/profile
export PS1='mx31# '
export PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
alias ll='ls -l'

but after I re-install skell:

ltib$ cat rootfs/etc/profile
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin
export PATH

So obviously this file is normally overwritten or modified by another package, and by re-installing skell I'm re-overwriting this. I guess the relevant question is: what is the right work flow for working on the skell package? I'd also like to know how to find out what other package overwrites this particular file? I tried:

ltib$ /opt/ltib/usr/bin/rpm --root /home/michael/iMX/eaglevision/ltib/ltib/rootfs --dbpath /var/lib/rpm/ -qf /etc/profile
merge-0.1-1
skell-1.16-2

but this looks like misinformation to me, since "merge" doesn't touch /etc/profile.

thanks,
Michael

MATRIX VISION GmbH, Talstrasse 16, DE-71570 Oppenweiler
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Gerhard Thullner, Werner Armingeon, Uwe Furtner,
Hans-Joachim Reich