Re: [Ltib] spec file pulling from CVS

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] spec file pulling from CVS
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:19:25 +0000

Hi Andrea,

The reason it's not recommended is that I went through this loop before with git/CVS/svn. The conclusion was that providing a way to do directory builds is okay, but LTIB should not be figuring out how to do the fetch/update/modification SCM proceedures for the contents of the directory. It's better that the developer takes full control of this, that way we can support anything, so long as it's a directory build.

The other reason is that in the end to make an actual release (ISO) you need to freeze the package in terms of pristine sources + patches. So when you're done with CVS you should make a "fixed" spec file that references some source tarball+patches.

Also, for general packages (those which you're not actively developing yourself, such as bash, ssh etc) you would not normally expect to be pulling regular updates of those, you're better in those cases to just use what's in and tested, or if you must update to a set of known source (e.g, those used in other distros).

Note: by way of example, there are a few packages such as the kernel/u-boot that already have directory build options (kernel26-dir-build.spec.in, u-boot-dir-build.spec.in). These in combination with the config system and the spec body templates they reference allow you to switch between directory building and fixed spec file building.

Regards, Stuart

Andrea Galbusera wrote:
Hi Stuart,