Re: [Ltib] LTIB dynamic device nodes creation

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] LTIB dynamic device nodes creation
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 10:37:12 +0100

Hi Zahidul,

Most modern systems use udev or some dynamic device creation equivalent
these days.  The kernel drive is written to populate /sys and a udev
rule or equivalent will be run when the driver loads.

Another approach for drivers that don't do that is to have wrapper
script that does "mknod" for you on driver load.  It can figure out the
dynamic device major number by looking at /proc/devices IIRC

This is really a kernel question, so you'll need to dig into other
kernel mailing lists for more detail.

Regards, Stuart

Zahidul Haque wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> How can we create our own device files into rootfs using LTIB. I have my own
> set of devices for which I need my own device nodes to be created dynamically.
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Please don't include disclaimers, they are inappropriate, irrelevant and
 legally unenforcible on a public mailing list

> "DISCLAIMER:
[snip]