Re: [Ltib] Ltib - How to make the MAC address in EEPROM works with kern

From: Li Yuan-Lung
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Ltib - How to make the MAC address in EEPROM works with kernel 2.6.34 just like kernel 2.6.27?
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 13:16:38 +0800

Dear Kevin,
Thanks for your kindly reply. I have download it.

assuming that u-boot reads the MAC address from the EEPROM and is setup to pass it to the kernel using ther ‘ethaddr=$ethaddr’ parameter.

I think this functionality approach my guessing.

Currently the MAC address need to be input manually like "ethaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" in u-boot. In the later release the u-boot will have the ability to get MAC from EEPROM and automatically generates the string into the kernel parameter(just like "ethaddr=$ethaddr" in the assuming) passed for the kernel.

Am I right with the new u-boot for kernel 2.6.34?

If the above is true, the only one method for MAC address assigning is to use "maddr" in S1L stage, right?

(Seems the CDL v2.0 has a lot of change, I am still reviewing it.)

Thank you very much!

Henry