Re: [Ltib] Build Linux Kernel and Filesystem on Portable Ubuntu

From: Todd Sampson
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Build Linux Kernel and Filesystem on Portable Ubuntu
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:40:19 -0400

I don't have experience with portable Ubuntu.  I use VirtualBox from
virtualbox.org.  It is a program that you can run on your windows platform, (or
pretty much any platform), to allow you to emulate Ubuntu, (or pretty much any
OS).  This would allow you to boot into Windows, launch VirtualBox, and boot
Ubuntu within VirtualBox.  At this point, you would be able to use your Windows
PC as normal and also switch to Ubuntu and back and forth with a mouse click.

One very nice thing about using VirtualBox is that you can do experiments
easily and safely.  You can have as many virtual machines in VirtualBox as you
want.  If you want to try some radical experiment, just create a new virtual
machine, and do whatever you want to do. If it doesn't work out, just delete
the machine.  If it works out, you can keep it.  In any case, it doesn't affect
the main OS on your machine, in your case, Windows. It also doesn't affect the
other virtual machines that you have in VirtualBox.

Another nice thing is that you can do complete backups of your virtual machine
easily.  You can also easily take snapshots and roll back/forward in time.

It seems like running Ubuntu in VirtualBox is plenty fast.  In theory, it
probably isn't quite as fast as if it were installed natively but I don't
notice any problem.

When you are running VirtualBox, you need enough RAM in your box for all the
OSs that you have running.  I usually allocate 1500MB to Ubuntu. (This is a
setting inside VirtualBox.)

Also, VirtualBox is free.

Good luck!
Todd