[Ltib] gnome-vfs build failure

From: Eric Nelson
Subject: [Ltib] gnome-vfs build failure
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 06:41:04 -0700

Hello all,

I recently had trouble building gnome-vfs from a Freescale release
of LTIB and thought I'd share my work-around.

The problem appeared as a link failure in gnome-vfs-2.24.1/modules/
with an error that "-Bsymbolic" isn't a supported link option by the
cross-compiler.

What I found by looking at the configure logs was that the link
flags were being leaked from the build machine into the cross-compilation
by these lines in configure.in:

AC_PATH_PROG([KRB5_CONFIG], krb5-config, none, $PATH:/usr/kerberos/bin)
if test "x$KRB5_CONFIG" != "xnone"; then
   GSSAPI_LIBS="`${KRB5_CONFIG} --libs gssapi`"
   GSSAPI_CFLAGS="`${KRB5_CONFIG} --cflags gssapi`"

In English, these lines will use the krb5-config to determine the compiler
and linker flags needed to support the kerberos authentication libraries
in a manner similar to pkg-config.

I suspect that a patch doctoring the PATH could prevent leakage from, but
I don't need kerberos on my machine, so I solved the issue in an easier
way:
        ~/$ sudo apt-get remove krb5-multidev

I hope this helps someone else.

Eric