Re: [Ltib] gnome-vfs build failure

From: Eric Nelson
Subject: Re: [Ltib] gnome-vfs build failure
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 10:49:19 -0700

On 10/30/2010 01:26 AM, Stuart Hughes wrote:
Hi Eric,

Thanks for posting the information.  It may also be worth checking out
(with configure --help or looking in the file) whether there is a
--without-krb5 or similar.

Thanks for the tip Stuart.

If I'm reading the configure.in file right, the krb5-config check isn't
conditional on anything.

It also appears that this has been around for a while:
        http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-vfs-list/2005-August/msg00021.html

It seems that the proper thing to do would be for kerberos to use pkgconfig,
where these problems have already been solved, but barring that, the attached
patch to gnome-vfs should add support for the --disable-kerberos flag.

The spec file will also need an update to add the flag:

-./configure --prefix=%{_prefix} --host=$CFGHOST --build=%{_build} --disable-openssl --disable-gtk-doc +./configure --prefix=%{_prefix} --host=$CFGHOST --build=%{_build} --disable-openssl --disable-gtk-doc --disable-kerberos

Regards, Stuart

Eric Nelson wrote:
Hello all,

I recently had trouble building gnome-vfs from a Freescale release
of LTIB and thought I'd share my work-around.

The problem appeared as a link failure in gnome-vfs-2.24.1/modules/
with an error that "-Bsymbolic" isn't a supported link option by the
cross-compiler.

What I found by looking at the configure logs was that the link
flags were being leaked from the build machine into the cross-compilation
by these lines in configure.in:

AC_PATH_PROG([KRB5_CONFIG], krb5-config, none, $PATH:/usr/kerberos/bin)
if test "x$KRB5_CONFIG" != "xnone"; then
    GSSAPI_LIBS="`${KRB5_CONFIG} --libs gssapi`"
    GSSAPI_CFLAGS="`${KRB5_CONFIG} --cflags gssapi`"

In English, these lines will use the krb5-config to determine the compiler
and linker flags needed to support the kerberos authentication libraries
in a manner similar to pkg-config.

I suspect that a patch doctoring the PATH could prevent leakage from, but
I don't need kerberos on my machine, so I solved the issue in an easier
way:
     ~/$ sudo apt-get remove krb5-multidev

I hope this helps someone else.

Eric