lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #58571] DNS host list is global even for multiple neti

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #58571] DNS host list is global even for multiple netifs
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 17:52:16 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I am with Ashley here. Having per netif DNS server storage and using DNS
servers of the current default interface would be very nice.

I had a similar setup with wired Ethernet (default) and PPP (GPRS backup) and
we had to write a DNS server switch outside lwIP. Basically interface UP hooks
to copy negotiated DNS servers from DHCP and/or PPP outside lwIP to keep track
of them, and something very ugly to enforce using the DNS servers list from
the current default interface. I can't remember the outcome exactly but I was
not very happy writing it :-)

Today's DNS servers handling in OSes is MUCH MORE complicated than just
overwriting /etc/resolv.conf or equivalent. With systemd-networkd or
NetworkManager, and last time I had to deal with that on Windows with VPN
clients it was much better than a naive overwrite of the previous DNS servers
list.

Sylvain

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?58571>

  Message sent via Savannah