lwip-users

[lwip-users] [lwip] ARP request ...and then?

From: Alexander Groß
Subject: [lwip-users] [lwip] ARP request ...and then?
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 22:50:09 -0000

Hi everybody,

I got lwIP to run on the Keil MCB167-Net board (CS8900 ethernet, no OS). My
first demo program is very simple: It just should send an UDP datagram to my
development PC. I use a network monitor to log the traffic between the board
and my PC.

When I'm trying to send the datagram the first time an ARP lookup has to be
performed in order to get the MAC address of the destination IP. This lookup
is done by cs8900if_output() which first does the lookup and then a request
because the ARP table is empty. (The request arrives on my PC and a reply is
sent). After the query has been sent by cs8900_output() the error code of
the ARP request is returned to the application.

How should I send any other datagram? The application does not know wheter
the successful return code comes from a succeeded ARP query or UDP datagram.
I hope anybody can help me solve this problem.

Have a nice weekend!

Alex

Alexander Groß
Student in Computer Sciences