lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] compilation on kernel 2.2

From: Felipe Massia Pereira
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] compilation on kernel 2.2
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 02:19:27 -0000

Hello all,

Adam Dunkels wrote:
> Have you tried creating the device nodes directly with mknod? I think this
> was mentioned in the tun/tap driver documentation, but I'm not sure.

Yes.

***2.2 kernels***
  # mknod -m 660 /dev/tap0 c 36 0

  And also add these lines to /etc/conf.modules:
   alias char-major-36 ethertap
   alias tap0 ethertap

***2.4 kernels***
  # mknod -m 660 /dev/tun c 10 200
        now it's a miscdev (major 10) and the minor 200 identifies the module

  And add these lines to /etc/conf.modules:
   alias char-major-10-200 tun
   alias tap0 tun

I dont know if all these lines are needed. It is still beta :) This way the
router runs until "Now run client" without errors.

> The simnode must be started when simrouter is running and cannot be run
> alone. simhost can, however. The fact that simrouter starts would imply that
> the tap device has been properly initialized at least.

I started simnode after the router said "Now run client". It's giving me
some device errors yet... Something related to the connect call of the
unixif interface.

Simhost gave me interface problem too.

Well, this was just one day work. :) There's more to come, I hope...

> When I look in the simhost.c, I see that I have left some old #ifdef linux's
> in there. You could try to change the "tapif_init_thread" to
> "tunif_init_thread" in the main_thread() function:
>
> #ifdef linux
>   netif_set_default(netif_add(&ipaddr, &netmask, &gw, tapif_init_thread,
>   tcpip_input));
> #else
>   netif_set_default(netif_add(&ipaddr, &netmask, &gw, tunif_init_thread,
>   tcpip_input));
> #endif
>
> Perhaps that might work.

Ok, let's try it.