lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] A couple quick lwIP questions

From: John C. Toman
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] A couple quick lwIP questions
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 01:40:02 -0000

Hi Marc,

Having done an lwIP port myself I think I can answer your two questions.

The answer to #2 is: uIP isn't going to be appropriate for you, because
it doesn't contain a UDP implementation (it's TCP only).

... you don't need any timers whatsoever. Another reason you might need
a timer in your case is if you need to maintain the ARP cache, but this
doesn't sound necessary because your system will be a server and won't
make any client connections. In the server case, lwIP harvests all the
ARP information it needs from the incoming connection packets and thus
remains up to date.

The sole reason I could see a need for a timer for your application (as
you've described it) is if you are implementing any kind of UDP packet
retransmit capability for your protocol.

Hope this helps,

John