lwip-users

[lwip-users] HEADS-UP: status of CVS

From: Leon Woestenberg
Subject: [lwip-users] HEADS-UP: status of CVS
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 04:08:06 +0200

Hello all,

please note that recent developments in the lwIP stack have brought up two bugs
that did not affect the actual workings of the stack before now.

More specificly, the way reference counts were used was ambigious regarding chained
pbufs.

The bugs showed up after both packet queueing and copy-on-demand was implemented
for pbufs that referenced non-static application memory.

In order to fix the bugs, the pbuf.c code has been changed. Outstanding bugs were
fixed as well.

In short, the pbuf->ref counter now always equals the number of pointer
refering to the pbuf (or refering into the pbuf), and this has to be ensured throughout
the stack

Therefore, the queueing code needs to be adapted still. Also, there might still be an
outstanding issue in udp_send() regarding this.

***
If you want to work with a stable stack, please use a 19 march 2003 snapshot.
***
If you use the current stack, disabling queueuing is advised.
***

Sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks to all who have thought along on this issue.
If we fail to bring the stack to a stable state within three days, I would suggest
moving the changes since 19 march into a different branch.

Regards,

Leon Woestenberg.