lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwIP hangs on transfers with many short packets

From: Tyrel Newton
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwIP hangs on transfers with many short packets
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 08:00:55 -0700

> One last thing. If we take Xilinx' lastezd and greatezd SDK 12.1 - we get
> 1.3.2 as well. Would that help, IYO?

I would provide more insight on this, but I'm currently using ISE 11.4 with the
emaclite (10/100 mac) peripheral, FreeRTOS, and the latest CVS head for lwIP.
As I mentioned previously, I also re-wrote the lwIP driver provided by Xilinx
because their driver was rather terrible and inefficient.

As I have been unimpressed with the application-level code provided by Xilinx,
I'm betting their lwIP temac driver is not the best. The temac peripheral has a
lot of customizable runtime settings and I'm betting the lwIP driver does not
set them correctly or doesn't provide hooks to set them at all. For example,
perhaps you are running out of some resource at the lwIP temac driver level,
such as queue space for outgoing packets or buffer descriptors for the
scatter-gather DMA stuff.

I highly doubt moving to 12.1 and 1.3.2 will fix your problem. Its very likely
at the lwIP temac driver level, which Xilinx probably didn't update between
releases (the 12.1 release heavily focused on support for the Spartan/Virtex-6
FPGAs).

Tyrel