lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] How stable is 2.9.0?

From: Mouse
Subject: [Lynx-dev] How stable is 2.9.0?
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 11:00:29 -0400 (EDT)

The lynx I've been using - 2.8, from 1999 - started exhibiting a
disturbing failure mode, today: I got "lynx in free(): warning: chunk
is already free.", indicating a memory-management bug, and, in at least
one session, got a coredump (ditto, but even more so).

I could just treat this as a debugging exercise.  But I wanted to at
least look at version-jumping instead.  It appears to me that the
latest release is 2.8.9, with 2.9.0 being still in development
versions.  But a lot of development versions, especially for
open-source software, are plenty usable enough.  And I notice that
2.9.0dev looks relatively stable; the last-change time I see is
2021-08-07.  So, my question is, is 2.9.0 in good enough shape that I
should (FWVO "should") use it, or would 2.8.9 be better?  (Of course,
it's possible that either one has some property that will render it
unsuitable for my purposes, but I figured I should at least look into
it.)

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse@rodents-montreal.org