m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] Cedilla

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] Cedilla
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 23:52:23 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Flor$(D+4(Bncio Neves <address@hidden> writes:

> In the US International keyboard layout, <dead_acute> c produces $(D++(B,
> and the cedilla character ($(D+.(B) can only be accessed with the
> uncomfortable combination AltGr-<comma>.  In many other keyboard
> layouts for Latin languages there doesn't seem to be any way to
> produce a cedilla.

> For the convenience of users typing in Portuguese and
> French (and perhaps some Mideastern languages), Gnome used to have a
> cedilla input method which allowed the cedilla to be entered using the
> combination <dead_acute> c.  Since Gnome started using iBus this is no
> longer available.

I vaguely remember that gtk has environment variable
GTK_IM_MODULE.  Doesn't it work to set that variable to
"cedilla" (you may need re-login)?

> The attached file would bring back this functionality, and I would
> like to contribute it to m17n.  I don't need or want to retain the
> copyright for this file, but I can put the copyright notice in my name
> if you prefer.

Thank you for the contribution, but I'm not sure how
universally such an input method is useful.  Isn't the
current situation just a mis-configuration of Gnome package,
and will be solved by a new version?

> (map
>  (trans
>  ))