m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] Cedilla

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] Cedilla
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 22:42:35 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Flor$(D+4(Bncio Neves <address@hidden> writes:

> Since Gnome integrated IBus, gtk's cedilla immodule doesn't work for
> me anymore.  But in fact it might be better to report the issue to
> Gnome and let them decide whether a solution through IBus/m17n is the
> most desirable one.

If Gnome itself is not going to recover the previous cedilla
facility, there's no problem in providing it in m17n.  But,
before including such a workaround input method, I'd like to
confirm that it doesn't get useless very soon.

> By the way, let me comment on the latn-pre input method.  It is great
> in that it enables you to type in the vast majority of European
> languages.  However, it has so many dead keys that some people might
> consider it unusable.  For instance, typing
>   http://example.com/home
> yields
>   http:$B!k(Bexample$(D+/(Bom$(D)D(Bome

I see.

> There is a couple of ways in which this might be improved.  One
> possibility would be to provide a way for the user to choose which
> keys are dead keys; then, everybody who doesn't need the period and
> slash to be dead keys (and that applies to most Western European
> languages) could disable it, making the IM less intrusive.

> A second possibility would be to provide a new input method which is
> similar to the existing latn-pre but where only the keys ' " ` ~ ^ are
> dead keys.  This would be sufficient to type most Western European
> languages and wouldn't suffer from excessive dead keys.

> A third possibility would be to have a minimal input method for each
> Latin language, as in Emacs.

> Let me know if you find any of these worth including in m17n.  I could
> then help implementing it.

Thank you for the ideas.  How about the mixture of the first
and the third ones; i.e. we provide a facility to choose a
language in latin-pre?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden