m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] .mim Syntax Options

From: handa
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] .mim Syntax Options
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 21:36:07 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Blinkenlichten <address@hidden> writes:

> after having completed different versions of an input systems for the
> rather rare Róng/Lepcha script for OS X, Windows (MSKLC, Keyman,
> Autohotkey) and Linux (XKB), I consider to give m17n a try as well.

Welcome.

> As far as I see from an initial survey into the respective files,
> Lepcha is already listed in the SCRIPT.tab and SCRIPT.tbl files. My
> guess is, thus, that my main job would be to provide an icon and to
> compose a lep.mim file.

Exactly.

> Going through some .mim samples, I have the impression that these just
> 'translate' Latin output into a different script. However, I'd like to
> assign output to specific physical keys in order to have a consistent
> layout and typing experience across platforms and keyboard
> types. Hence my question to the experts:

> - Instead of "a" in the first column, for example, can I use key codes (key
> <AC01> ) or scan codes (SC01E)?

Unfortunately no.  But, are there any key codes or scan codes that are
really consistent across platforms and keyboard types?

> - Instead of "अ" in the second column, for example, can I use Unicode (U+0905
> or &#x0905) codepoints?

Yes.  You can write:
        ("a" #x905)
and
        ("a" "\\x905")
instead of:
        ("a" "अ")

This page explains the full format of MIM file:
  http://www.nongnu.org/m17n/manual-en/m17nDBFormat.html#mdbIM
Though, I must confess that it's not reader friendly.

---
K. Handa
address@hidden