maposmatic-dev

Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Implementing bbox limitation

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Implementing bbox limitation
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 11:10:53 +0200

Hello Maxime,

2009/9/8 Maxime Petazzoni <address@hidden>:
> We're going to have the same old degree-to-distance problem here. 1 or 2
> degrees might be good at our latitudes, but the poor guy in Iceland or
> Greenland won't be able to map his garden with that, and the guys from
> Equator will be able to get huge maps.

Why? The surface on the sphere is the same, whatever latitude you are
looking at.

With 1 degree of latitude, you can map Tromse or Reykjavik:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=69.681&lon=18.959&zoom=11&layers=B000FTFT
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=64.104&lon=-21.829&zoom=11&layers=B000FTFT

BTW, openstreetmap.org API is limiting export extends with such span
limitation in degrees. I've never heard it was an issue.

Yours,
d.