Re: Release proposal

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: Release proposal
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 00:26:33 +0200 (CEST)

On 16 Sep 2002, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

> Christian Hopp <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hey... someothers... are working... without computer from time to time. (-:
>
> Ah, I was worried there for a while since I did not hear from you.
> BTW, I haven't heard from Martin in a long time, Martin are with us!?
>
> > I think releasing 3.0 is okay.
>
> Good, good, as I said I'll try to do it tomorrow.

Fine!  I hope that I have time this week to place 3.0 in our "real"
environment.  You have to withstand the temptation to mix development
and the use in a product environment.  Something I have to learn.  But
we have left the main core untouched so I don't fear any problems.

But I have already seen a big productivity increase by monit.  The
problem is you start some kind of "end of the pipe thinking".  You
don't solve the problems of your services.  You have a tool which
keeps them alive.  That's also tempting... you install monit and you
think by automated restarting all your problems are solved.  But if
you encounter any actions by monit you have to get active.  But why
monit has restarted it and it works again.... just some musings of
mine... late at night... with a toothbrush in my mouth. (-:

> > We should have announced the beta on freshmeat and one the web-page
> > to get feedback.
>
> Maybe on freshmeat, but definitively on our web-pages. There are
> between 5-10 downloads each day so announcing there should work. I
> simply didn't think about that.

I am curious to see the stats on freshmeat.  The increase was amazing when
2.5.1 was announced.

C.Hopp

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113