branches

From: Rory Toma
Subject: branches
Date: 16 Sep 2002 19:31:51 -0700

Does CVS support branching?

If so, I propose we do the following (if possible)

We have 3 branches:
        released
        next release (close (2 weeks?) to release)
        dev

Only bug fixes are allowed in released
next release only allows bug fixes or feature finishing
anything goes in dev

released is guaranteed to work 8-)
next-release should work
dev is work in progress, and may not work during given times, have nasty
known bugs, or incomplete features

I currently do a mini version of this for monit.

I develop in a private perforce area
I commit to cvs
I integrate cvs releases and my own perforce into our main source tree

This way, we wouldn't have a de facto checkin moratorium during release
times.

This isn't hard in perforce. I have no idea if it's difficult in cvs.

--
Rory Toma               address@hidden
VP of Run Level 5       http://www.trs80.net