status 4.1

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: status 4.1
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 18:12:55 +0200

Here's a short status for the 4.1 release:

We have implemented almost everything planned for this release, the
remaining items are:

1) HTTP request returns data checksum

2) URL request for protocol tests (like ldap, ftp, etc.)
   "problem" with ftp and ldap is that they often require a
   username/password for access. (We could of course state the
   username/password in monitrc)

3) Refactor the CVS repository and release tree
   to delete a csv entry and recreate it (the best option) if not, we
   must create a parallel new directory at the top-level (I fear that
   this is the solution we must choose), such as:
      CVSROOT/
      monit/
      monit4/  <-- New directory
   The monit4 name is a suggestion, if you have another name you think
   is better, please say so. Before the new repository is created I'll
   create a tar.gz package you can download and examine to see if you
   concure with the new layout.

In other words we are pretty close to release a beta version of monit
4.1 and I think we should take aim to release this ASAP, since some of
the new functionality such as Martins ICMP ping and Christians
send/expect and last but not least the alert limitation are important
changes.

Ps. Christian, if you have time, maybe you would like to add support
for crypt and md5 to the htpasswd code before we release?

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland