Re: Patch: Add SMTP_AUTH-support

From: Thomas Lohmüller
Subject: Re: Patch: Add SMTP_AUTH-support
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:35:54 +0200

I have a working SMTPS and even support for "STARTTLS" which is much
more common than SMTPS and works as follows (extract from rfc2487)

 S: <waits for connection on TCP port 25>
 C: <opens connection>
 S: 220 mail.imc.org SMTP service ready
 C: EHLO mail.ietf.org
 S: 250-mail.imc.org offers a warm hug of welcome
 S: 250 STARTTLS
 C: STARTTLS
 S: 220 Go ahead
 C: <starts TLS negotiation>
 C & S: <negotiate a TLS session>
 C & S: <check result of negotiation>
 C: <continues by sending an SMTP command>

I still need a few hours to clean up the written code but will try to
send a new patch-file this week. I recommend something like this:

SET MAILSERVER {host name [PORT port]|ip-address [PORT port] [USING
ssl|tls [CHECKSUM checksum]]}+ [with TIMEOUT X SECONDS]

It's important to distinguish SSL and TLS. With SSL you use port 465
and start ssl before any data is transmitted. With TLS you use the
default SMTP-port 25 and initiate SSL later as shown above.