monit-general

Re: Is there a way to tell Monit to monitor by default all new services?

From: Ciprian Dorin Craciun
Subject: Re: Is there a way to tell Monit to monitor by default all new services?
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2020 21:48:10 +0300

In my case the current `monit status` command lists something like:
~~~~
Process '...'
  status                       OK
  monitoring status            Monitored
  monitoring mode              passive
  on reboot                    nostart
~~~~

And I assume that when it starts initially it is something like:
~~~~
Process '...'
  status                       Not monitored
  monitoring status            Not monitored
  monitoring mode              passive
  on reboot                    nostart
~~~~

My initial question was if there is any option to set `monitoring
status` to `Monitored`, while leaving alone the `monitoring mode` and
`on reboot` alone.

> For services/resources I am interresting in information only I do not
> define a start, stop and or restart command. Without a given command,
> monit can not do any action. Unfortunately you can not start a process
> via monit too.

This is an issue, because I do have `start` / `stop` / `restart`
commands defined, not for Monit, but mainly to allow an operator to
quickly control a service, without SSH-ing into the machine.

However it seems I'm in a deadlock...  I do want commands to be able
to use the UI as a simple controller, but I don't want Monit to
automatically control them itself, but I do want Monit to
automatically monitor services...  :)

My guess is that there is a missing option in the configuration...

Thanks,
Ciprian.