Re: [Monotone-devel] current to-do items

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] current to-do items
Date: 11 Sep 2003 12:10:34 -0600

I'm replying to the easy ones from this thread.
For the harder things I'll send a separate followup.

>> "monotone foo" should print error, not usage
>> should exit with status 1

graydon> really? I've no opinion on this, so .. I guess if you prefer.

For things like this, I slavishly follow the GNU coding standards.
For one thing, this document has a lot of history and thought in it.
Also, a lot of programs already follow these rules, or ones very close
to them.

graydon> one thing to note, however, is that email doesn't provide
graydon> much in the way of replay, compared to depots or news
graydon> servers.

Many mailing lists keep archives and would let you replay.

>> monotone fetch should report what it is doing
>> like wget or scp...

graydon> yeah. you think a '\r' based repeated-print-on-one-line status meter
graydon> is better, or a bunch of successive lines?

Personally I like what scp/rpm -U/etc do.  That is, print a hash mark
for every few % done, along with a numeric indicator and a time
estimate.  For "monotone fetch", just a single line of status would
probably suffice, showing number of packets downloaded (or bytes, if
that info is readily available).

>> should "mv * monotone/" in monotone repository

graydon> you mean, you want the entries in the manifest of my current depot to
graydon> all start with monotone/...? why?

It just seems weird to do a checkout and have all the files show up in
pwd.  It reminded me of the bad old days when people made source
distributions that did this... making a fresh directory for a checkout
seems cleaner and less surprising to me.

>> rm foo.cc; monotone update
>> should work

graydon> yeah, or something. as discussed in previous mail, that or
graydon> revert. or both.

On irc I think we arrived at the idea of having "monotone update"
give an error, but then add "monotone revert" to do what one would
expect here.

I think the error message could be clearer.  It could even mention
the need to run "monotone revert".

For "monotone status", I think we should print "missing <filename>".
For "commit", perhaps missing files should cause a failure.

Tom