Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone & CVS import

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone & CVS import
Date: 12 Nov 2003 22:40:29 -0500

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> On the other hand, Windows filesystems will refuse to create files
> with ':'s in them.

that was more my point; as it turns out, I think linux (~2.4) is one
of the better behaved unices and can handle a large swath of UTF-8
characters in pathnames. other systems -- or older linuxes -- I don't
know. I'll have to test. at some point we'll make a portability
vs. feature tradeoff (VMS? Windows95?) but not before collecting some
data about which systems can do what.

I agree, of course, it'd be very nice for users in non-english locales
to be able to write pathnames with their preferred characters and have
monotone "just work".

-graydon