Re: [Monotone-devel] Spaces in filenames, UTF-8, and newlines (was: mono

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Spaces in filenames, UTF-8, and newlines (was: monotone & CVS import)
Date: 12 Nov 2003 23:04:09 -0500

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> I think it would be cleaner to use a .mt-attr for this, and add a hook
> to let people set default attrs on files.

hm.. it sort of feels a bit over-engineered, but it's got merit.

I can well imagine someone working on a JIS or KOI8 system asking for
an auto-iconv on checkout, for a UTF-8 project too. yeah. well, you're
right, attributes + some sort of "default-attribute" hook can probably
be bent into performing this task. maybe we'll call it "encoding". or
split it in 2 attributes, "line_endings" and "encoding".

internal diffs and merges would use the internal form, I think;
external diffs and merges would use the external form. the line split
thing will need to preserve the internal line separator for stitching
lines back together. SHA1 would operate on the internal form. yeah, it
could work. we'll just strongly encourage people to adopt UTF-8 or
UCS-2 as their internal form :)

-graydon