Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone & CVS import

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone & CVS import
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:07:43 -0800

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 04:54:24PM -0500, graydon hoare wrote:
> Jeremy Fitzhardinge <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > It would be good to support all possible names.  Many projects have
> > one or two files which have strange names, possibly because of the
> > requirements of some other tool.  If the source control system can't
> > handle some files, it is effectively useless.
>
> well, I'll expand support where necessary for a real case, provided
> it's safe and well understood. but not "all possible" cases. some
> possible cases are *attacks*. what does your filesystem do when it
> sees a path component with 0xD7 in it? I don't know; and when I don't
> know about a security issue, the conservative thing to do is fail.

Well, in ISO8859-1, 0xD7 is the multiplication symbol, which I guess is
pretty uncommon.  But 0xD6 is capital O with an umlaut, and 0xD9 is
capital U with a grave accent -- people will definitely want this sort
of thing, and they work fine on my system.  And who knows what sort of
bytes will show up in UTF8 pathnames...

On the other hand, Windows filesystems will refuse to create files
with ':'s in them...  (I wonder what happens if you have a multibyte
UTF8 character, one of whose bytes is 0x3A == ':'...)

"But suppose I am not willing to claim that.  For in fact pianos
are heavy, and very few persons can carry a piano all by themselves."