Re: [Monotone-devel] Keyids and author names (was: Commit finally worked

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Keyids and author names (was: Commit finally worked)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:50:56 -0800

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 07:41:14AM -0800, Kevin Smith wrote:
> graydon hoare wrote:
> >the author concept is only used for the "author" cert, which
> >subsequently is only used in the "log" command. nothing fancier than
> >that. if you think it's too many extra concepts, maybe we should just
> >squish author and key together into one concept.
>
> I would favor defaulting author to the keyid, but still allowing a hook
> to override it. I chose my keyid expecting it to be my public monotone
> alias.

I think this is right.

address@hidden on my desktop is "address@hidden".  This is not
a name that anyone will recognize as referring to me (though I guess
there aren't _that_ many njs's out there).  I can see why author and
key aren't necessarily the same thing, but the keyid a person chose
seems to be the best guess by far to the name they want to use for
development.

"But suppose I am not willing to claim that.  For in fact pianos
are heavy, and very few persons can carry a piano all by themselves."