Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit finally worked

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit finally worked
Date: 12 Nov 2003 09:58:57 -0500

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm confused about this general issue, though.  Isn't Monotone's usual
> way of determining an author to look for a private key?  Have you run
> 'monotone genkey'?  When does monotone ever need to know an actual
> username?  Maybe I'm having a brain fart...

author and key are different concepts in monotone right now. maybe
that's pointlessly confusing -- exacerbated by my suggestion to use
semi-email-addresses as key names -- but I have it set up to let you
choose keys and authors independently.

the author concept is only used for the "author" cert, which
subsequently is only used in the "log" command. nothing fancier than
that. if you think it's too many extra concepts, maybe we should just
squish author and key together into one concept.

-graydon