Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit finally worked

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit finally worked
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:53:45 -0800

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 10:21:03PM -0800, Kevin Smith wrote:
> I figured it was time to report some good news! I was able to import my
> existing, non-CVS project tree.
>
> I did have to figure out the "no default author" thing. Yes, I'm running
> on Debian. But if I do a "set", I do have environment variables set for
> USER and HOST.
>
> I ran a little program in Ruby and it found the USER environment
> variable, but not HOSTNAME. Strange.

Don't do 'set', do 'export'.  That will tell you variables that are
actually in your environment, instead of the (possibly larger)
collection of variables that are in your shell.

> In an earlier message, you mentioned adding code to check getpwent.
> Instead, how about if you just print a friendly error message? I
> actually didn't want the USER/HOSTNAME from my environment used as the
> author, so a suggestion (or requirement?) to configure the author in
> .monotonerc would have been much better for me. I have added this
> suggestion as a bug.

I'm confused about this general issue, though.  Isn't Monotone's usual
way of determining an author to look for a private key?  Have you run
'monotone genkey'?  When does monotone ever need to know an actual
username?  Maybe I'm having a brain fart...

"...All of this suggests that if we wished to find a modern-day model
for British and American speech of the late eighteenth century, we could
probably do no better than Yosemite Sam."