Re: [Monotone-devel] Building monotone with Debian (Sarge)

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Building monotone with Debian (Sarge)
Date: 12 Nov 2003 17:37:18 -0500

Kevin Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> graydon hoare wrote:
> > as build-depends inside the debian control files, and mentionned
> > indirectly in the brief phrase in README. if you'd like to add a
> > description of your build experience to README or INSTALL, I'd happily
> > add that.
>
> I think what messed me up was having build-related instructions spread
> across three different files: README, INSTALL, and the "building" link
> on the monotone website. Perhaps there should be a BUILDING file,
> which is mentioned in the README and INSTALL. The web page would then
> have a copy of this file, rather than a separate document.
>
> If we agree on a structure, I can probably do the text editing.

hm. probably INSTALL, then. we can just put a section in the beginning
of INSTALL before the gnu boilerplate which explans things you might
need to know above and beyond "the basics", and I can copy that
section verbatim to the "building" page (omitting the gnu
boilerplate). README can point to INSTALL, with an indication that it
Really Honestly Has Stuff Other Than The Boilerplate.

> I think they should be reported upstream. If there's hope of having
> them fixed upstream, we should live with them. Otherwise, I would
> prefer to disable at least the "obviously" harmless warnings (like
> unused variable) when compiling those libraries.

ok. filed a bug.

-graydon