Re: [Monotone-devel] Building monotone with Debian (Sarge)

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Building monotone with Debian (Sarge)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 07:49:19 -0800

graydon hoare wrote:
as build-depends inside the debian control files, and mentionned
indirectly in the brief phrase in README. if you'd like to add a
description of your build experience to README or INSTALL, I'd happily
add that.

I think what messed me up was having build-related instructions spread across three different files: README, INSTALL, and the "building" link on the monotone website. Perhaps there should be a BUILDING file, which is mentioned in the README and INSTALL. The web page would then have a copy of this file, rather than a separate document.

If we agree on a structure, I can probably do the text editing.

yeah, I guess I assumed -- rather than documented -- a general ability
to cajole autotools into working. perhaps I've just grown too much
scar tissue about them.

I've built several projects, but this is the first one with automake. Or, at least, the first one with automake that didn't have explicit instructions. After a couple years working with GNU/Linux, I'm still a newbie in many ways :-(

yeah, those are in dependant libraries I've imported (sqlite,
crypto++, lua). I keep my own stuff warning-free, but I think perhas
those other authors do not. I don't know what exactly to do about
that; we could make a raft of local modifications, make modifications
and feed them back upstream, or just leave things as-is (they seem to
mostly work).

I think they should be reported upstream. If there's hope of having them fixed upstream, we should live with them. Otherwise, I would prefer to disable at least the "obviously" harmless warnings (like unused variable) when compiling those libraries.

Kevin