Re: [Monotone-devel] populating a depot server

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] populating a depot server
Date: 12 Nov 2003 11:26:22 -0500

Jeremy Fitzhardinge <address@hidden> writes:

> Some guess about the number of packets would be useful.  It has so far
> burned about 2.5 hours of CPU generating 12500 packets (the laptop has
> been suspended for a while), and I have no idea how much longer it will
> take.

that starts to sound like a bug. how many CVS tree-states did you
have?

> Rather than spending a lot of effort on progress reporting, it's
> probably worth looking at how to improve performance of addtree...

I agree, it shouldn't take horribly long. I threw "addtree" together
in a rush. I've made some local modifications here which speed it up
by around a factor of 2 on this machine, I'll post those when I finish
picking bugs out of them. I'd like time to compose a real testsuite
entry for the whole import, addtree, post, fetch, reconstruct cycle.

> One other question about CVS import: can I repeat it?  Since I'm going
> to be tracking the CVS repository, I'd like to be able to reimport the
> new changes.  Can I do this incrementally?

possibly in theory, but I suspect there's some ways it might break.
in any case it won't currently queue the correct set of "incrementally
added" edges, so it'll take a bit of work to get right, for that
scenario.

I'd appreciate it if you could file such concerns (even if they turn
out to be wrong or trivial) as bugs in the BTS; it is far easier to
track outstanding requests that way than by marking specific emails in
my mailbox as "containing a feature request". the queue of requests is
starting to heat up, and I don't want to lose track of the things
people actually ask for :)

-graydon