Re: [Monotone-devel] Pushing a new project to the depot

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Pushing a new project to the depot
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:05:52 -0800

graydon hoare wrote:
Kevin Smith <address@hidden> writes:

ah yes, ok. I've just extended the standard ignore_file hook in my
working copy to skip .so, .lo, .la, and .a files too, in addition to
.o (which it already did).

Cool.

In my case, it wasn't a CVS import that triggered it. I had fetched
monotone from your depot, and wanted to start my own branch depot. I
assume the addtree command will do the right thing in my case as
well.

depends on what you mean by the "right thing". recall that the head
has the same SHA1 whether or not its history is present in your depot,
so there's really no need to queue the whole history.
if you just commit a new version to your database and have it set to
queue that branch (net.venge.monotone) for *your* depot, monotone will
see that your depot has no predecessor versions at all and queue a
single, full-data (not deltas) copy of your head.  subsequent commits
will queue deltas.

Ah. So I can't force it to queue an exact copy of your tree to my depot. I have to make at least one small change, and then it will automatically post the whole tree? It makes sense after hearing it, but it's not what I expected. I wanted to push an exact copy so I could test my depot. No biggie, though.

addtree is more thorough, and really a special case for importing a
CVS tree: it queues the *entire history* of all the heads of your
branch, not just a head itself.

So if I plan to work on monotone itself, you think it would be better for me not to include your historical deltas? If someone pulls a copy of monotone from my depot, they would only get the change history newer than now. As I pull updates from your depot into my database, will they be posted to my depot individually, or as a bundle somehow?

The whole reason I'm looking at monotone is for distributed development, so I really want to understand this. It's a whole new paradigm for me, and I have not worked on a distributed CVS project, so I have a lot to learn.

Thanks,

Kevin