Re: [Monotone-devel] populating a depot server

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] populating a depot server
Date: 10 Nov 2003 20:54:35 -0500

Jeremy Fitzhardinge <address@hidden> writes:

> It seems to be working - at least it's sitting there and working the CPU
> hard.  I had a false failure when I was trying to use "treeadd" rather
> than "addtree" - it just exits silently rather than complaining about a
> bad command.

whoops. 1 line fix, added.

> Hm, it has taken over an hour so far, and generated just on 5000
> packets.  I think it will finish soon, but I have no way of telling.

I think I'm going to change the "queued ... bytes for ..." lines to
use ticker objects, like everything else progress-metery.

a problem with the concept of "progress" (specifically the "amount
left to do") is that the recursive poster generates the packets as
it's exploring the ancestry tree. in theory I could do 2 passes -- one
to get a number and one to generate the packets -- or produce some
kind of calculated guess about how many packets will be going out.. up
to you.

a similar issue applies when doing the cvs import actually, in that
the most useful "amount of work left to do" number isn't exactly
available. but maybe I can makeshift something which will converge at
the same rate. I'd like the UI to feel non-clunky, so progress meters
are important.

-graydon